Effective Listening Course
REGISTRATION CLOSES: Friday, February 9th at 12pm PST
Professor: Lisa Orimoto, Ph.D.
Full Hybrid Course Runs: Friday, February 9, 2018 – Friday, March 23, 2018
- Dates & Times: Friday, Feb. 9 @ 6:30 – 9:30pm PST and Saturday, Feb. 10 @ 8:30am – 5:30pm PST
- Location: Reasons to Believe (818 S. Oak Park Rd., Covina, CA 91724)
Weekly Online Discussions:
- Dates & Times: Wednesdays, Feb. 21, 28; March 7, 14, 21 at 6:00-7:30pm PST/PDT
- Location: Zoom Virtual Room
One of the most intriguing commandments in Scripture is Jesus’ admonition, “Be careful how you listen” (Luke 8:18). Can you imagine what Jesus was like when He was listening? How satisfying do you think it was for people to share their thoughts and feelings with Him? Scholarly research shows that 70% of the job for successful CEOs is effective listening. What does it mean to listen? Many Christian leaders are taught how to be good speakers, but very few are trained to be Christ-like listeners. This course is a practicum on listening. Students will be taught to think theologically about listening, and they will also have opportunity to practice listening.
Key Questions To Be Explored:
- How can I become a better listener?
- Who do I really listen to? Should I be listening to those voices? How much do I listen to God? What is God saying to me now?
- How easy am I to talk to? How attentive am I when others share their thoughts and feelings with me? Who in my sphere is trying to tell me something that I have not been willing to receive?
- How can I grow in discernment when I hear multiple voices pressuring me with contradictory messages and advice?
- How do I feel when I am not carefully listened to?